Email plays an important role in the communication field on which both our daily and professional work depends. The MBOX file format is widespread among these messages as it is used by many email clients. But Mbox files cannot be imported directly into Outlook.
So it is always a topic of discussion among the users that how to convert MBOX to Outlook PST.
This post is going to unveil several methods to open mbox in Outlook so that you can switch mailboxes easily.
Why use Outlook for Mbox?
Microsoft application is very much in vogue, whether you are doing it on Windows system or on any other. Outlook is a product of the Microsoft Office suite, in which many features and facilities are available to the users like:
PST file saves more data than MBOX like contacts, calendars, tasks, etc.
You can set a password on the PST to protect it from falling into unauthorized hands.
Outlook is launched in more than 30 languages, so using the application in your native language becomes much easier.
Apart from Windows and Mac systems, it is also used on Android and Windows phones.
The use of an Exchange server enhances organizational support and security. Outlook connects easily to Exchange Server rather than other email clients.
By which methods MBOX can be converted to Outlook PST format
It is important to note that not all methods are simple, with some methods requiring the user to repeat the process more than once. If you belong to an organization, then it may take longer.
Second, first read the entire process then follow it with the pre-requisites.
Method 1: Convert MBOX to PST for Outlook using Gmail
Gmail is an online mail service provider which offers free and paid services to the user. It can help you to move your mailbox into Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013 & earlier versions.
- Open Gmail >> Gear icon >> See All Settings
- Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab >> Enable IMAP protocol (if it is disabled) then save changes at the bottom of the page.
- Go to your Gmail profile and click on “Manage Your Google Account”
- Open the Security tab >> Find and Click “Phone Recovery” (If 2-step verification is enabled)
- After that Click on the 2-step verification setting
- Scroll down and press App Password >> Select App and Device, Mail, and Windows respectively then click on Generate button
- Copy and save the code then click on the Done button.
- Now open your MBOX-based email clients like Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc, and set up an account with IMAP protocol.
- Once set up successfully, create a new folder under the new account for the MBOX-based email client.
- Drag and drop all emails into the new folder. These emails automatically sync to Gmail accounts without any changes.
- Open Microsoft Outlook >> File >> Info > Add Account
- Check “Manual setup or additional server type, Next.
- Select POP and IMAP, Next >> Fill in the detail according to your Gmail account
Incoming server: imap.gmail.com
Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
- Go to more settings>> Outgoing Server tab >> Enable “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”.
- Advance tab >> IMAP port: 993 with SSL encryption and SMTP port 25 with TLS encryption / 465 with SSL encryption >> Click on the OK button
- Now test the account settings if any problem occurs then change the port setting and test again >> finish at last.
Conclusion of Method 1
This whole process takes some time depending on the size of your mailbox so wait till it is prompted. It works with the latest or older version of MS Outlook but you can migrate per account at a time.
Note: Make sure that the internet connection does not fluctuate during the whole migration.
Method 2: Use Eudora to import the mailbox into Outlook
Older versions of Microsoft Outlook have the option to load Eudora mailboxes. But the latest versions cannot apply this method to MBOX files. You should take a backup of your mailbox before using this method.
- First, install Eudora and configure it with a dummy account. This will give you the default location of Eudora’s mailbox.
- Now copy the mbox file and go to the default location of Eudora and paste it.
- Change the mbox file extension to mbx like xyz.mbox ===xyz.mbx
- Run Outlook >> Go to file >> click on Import Export tool
- Select “import internet mail and address” from the list then press Next.
- Choose “Eudora 2x, 3x, and 4x (pro and light) then Next again.
- Browse the location of Eudora mailbox and enable don’t copy duplicate items, Next
- Choose the folder in which you want to import all MBOX files then finish.
Conclusion of Method 2
In this method, you will never get the complete folder hierarchy. Also, some may be hesitant to change the file extension but need not worry as both MBOX and MBX are family formats and store the same folder hierarchy. However, you can take a backup so that it is safe in case of header, image, or link damage.
Method 3: Outlook Express imports MBOX file to Outlook
This method is also a long process to import MBOX files into Outlook using Outlook Express. To do this follow the below steps:
- Install and configure Thunderbird then Import the MBOX file in it.
- Change the MBOX file into EML file format using the drag and drop method.
- Launch Outlook Express and import the EML file in it.
- Go to file tab >> Export >> Messages
- Select Outlook to start the migration from Outlook Express to Outlook PST
Note: You can use the import-export tool add-on in Thunderbird to export EML files with folder hierarchy.
Conclusion of Method 3
In this method, you need multiple email client installations and configurations to follow all the steps. It’s not the best way but at least it works on all Outlook versions. You can move mailboxes per account at a time.
How to load and export MBOX files to PST without Outlook and other email clients?
Above I have shared multiple manual methods to migrate data from MBOX-based email clients to Outlook. But all the methods demand a lot of requirements to start the migration.
To instantly convert MBOX to PST without installation and configuration of any email client, you can use MailsDaddy MBOX to PST Converter tool.
This single application is sufficient to transfer MBOX-based email client data to Outlook PST format without any technical hassle. There is no recommendation to install any email client including Microsoft Outlook. You can use the application on all Windows OS and use it as per your requirement to export MBOX files.
Steps to Move MBOX file to Outlook using MBOX Converter
- First, you have to download the solution from the official site and install it on your Windows OS.
- Run the program and activate the full or demo version of the application.
- To load the MBOX file into the software, simply click on Add file button and browse it.
- After loading the mailbox, you can perform batch, filter, and select email migration with the attachment. To convert all emails at once, press the Export button.
- Select PST file format and one conversion option: Single PST or Separate PST for all MBOX
- At last, save the destination for the MBOX file then hit on the Next button to start the migration.
Once you get the PST file at your destination then you can import the MBOX file into Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and earlier versions. If you have activated the free version then it migrates 20 emails while the full version has no limit.
You can read this post to convert or export MBOX files to Outlook PST format with attachments. I have described all manual methods to move a mailbox, but market tools are very easy and efficient. You are completely free to try any method which you find easy and efficient to convert MBOX files.