Aspects of Global Warming

Aspects of Global Warming
2 mn read

The planet Earth has been experiencing constant heating and cooling due to the varying amount of sunlight and other forces influencing the humidity of the earth’s surface. (Routledge, 5). Global warming is the continuous increase in the earth’s temperature of the past few years due to human activities like the release of greenhouse gases, which result especially from human beings burning fossil fuels. From the records by NASA, it is believed that the global temperature has risen by about 0.3 degrees in a period of 99 years, that is from 1906 to 2005, and this has made the temperature to be nearly double in only 50 years (Routledge, 7). Global warming is very dangerous to human life, and it must be controlled to ensure that the earth remains conducive for human life.

There is a possible temperature will continue to increase even further if preventive measures are not put in place to countermeasure the aspects that lead to temperature increase. Aspects of global warming, therefore, include the greenhouse effect (Yale University Press, 12). Estimation shows that 30 percent of the total radiation from the sun gets reflected back by the bright facades in the atmosphere. The atmosphere, land, and oceans absorb the remaining 70 percent, and this is what heats up the whole globe. As these surfaces get heated, they radiate back the heat back to the atmosphere, and this is what determines the daily temperatures experienced (Yale University Press, 5). The water vapor and greenhouse house gases absorb the radiation back into the atmosphere. After absorbing the radiated heat from the earth’s surface, greenhouse gas molecules plus microscopic water droplets convert to small heaters, which radiates heat in all directions.

Thus, the energy radiated back to the atmosphere is what heats the lower atmosphere. The greenhouse effect raises the earth’s temperature, which would otherwise be as low as -18 degrees Celsius as a substitute to the 15 degrees Celsius experienced today (Springer, Cham, 11). Despite the advantage of the greenhouse effect, scientists are, however, worried about the constant increase in the concentration of these gases in the atmosphere due to human activities like the burning of fossil fuels and the destruction of forests which created a balance of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. This has thus resulted in the existence of more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, which makes infrared energy emitted from the ground end being absorbed by atmospheric gases (Springer, Cham, 21). The increase in temperature, which is referred to as global warming, has more side effects than just the temperature increase. The side effects include changes in the rainfall patterns, melting of glacier ice in the Arctic region which in turn raises the sea level, increasing the lengths of growing seasons in certain areas, and even alteration of range for some infectious diseases.

In summary global warming is constantly increasing greenhouse gases, which causes an imbalance in the control of infrared radiations that are responsible for temperature changes in the earth. Scientists are, therefore, trying to ensure that it is controlled by effectively putting in place measures that should be initiated for the conducive existence of life on earth.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.

MyArticles

Welcome to MyArticles, an author-oriented website. A place where words matter. Discover without further ado our countless community stories.

Build great relations

Explore all the content from MyArticle community network. Forums, Groups, Members, Posts, Social Wall and many more. You can never get tired of it!

Become a member

Get unlimited access to the best stories and articles on MyArticles, support our lovely authors and share your stories with the World.